Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Adventures in Sewing: Shape Bean Bags and Katie-sized Pillow

I was blessed to get a sewing machine for Christmas!  So far I've made a purse (with my Grandma's help) and a hooded towel for Katie.  I was looking for a project that I could create on my own, was easy to complete and that would be useful.  At the same time I was brainstorming different learning tools I could use with Katie to teach her shapes and colors.  I wanted something that she could touch and feel since that's one of the best ways for kids her age to learn.  Then it hit me...shape bean bags!  Katie and I ran to wally world and for a little over $3 got enough material for many, many bean bags and a couple of bags of beans.  I went on the computer and printed off a few shapes, traced them onto the fabric, sewed the pieces together, filled 'em with beans, trimmed around the edges and voila!  (By the way I looked on amazon and similar bean bag shapes were $20!)




Later this week I made Katie a pillow just her size.  She likes using one of her baby dolls as a pillow so I used that doll as a size template.  She cuddled with the pillow all evening with her Daddy on the couch so I think she likes it!



I am definitly still learning and there have been many mess-ups but I'm really enjoying sewing.  Check out my sewing projects pinterest board for ideas of what else is to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment